Re: [DMCForum] unions and abestos

Andy,

I totally agree with you that greed is the reason jobs are leaving the
US.  When you compare labor rates, Germany, Japan and 3 other countries
have HIGHER labor rates than the US. (SEE WSJ article from last week.)
THerefore, there is no evidence that US unions are making US labor rates
too expensive.  It is just simple greed. When Maytag closed their
manufacturing facility in Illinois last year and moved to Mexico, they
said is was labor costs.  THEY PRICE OF MAYTAG Washer and Driers has not
dropped THEY ACTUALLY INCREASED,  I just saw them last week at SEARS.
$1300 each compared to $300 for the house brand.  What a rip.!

I also agree with you that boiler makers have died from asbestos related
disease.  AS I SAID, insulation workers (aka boiler makers)  had very
high long term exposures and did develop asbestos related disease.

My discussion  deals with school children and the dis information that
asbestos exposure  in grades K-12 ever  caused any asbestos disease  in
childern attending schools.  There is simple no evidence any where in
the world to support the schools asbestos regulations. AHERA and ASHERA

Please don't think I am not concerned about boiler makers, insulation
workers ( We train Local 17 on asbestos and I have known 3 pipe fitters
who have died from asbestos.)

Just like the rest of the world, there are Occupational Safety and
Health regulations that  protect these workers if t h ey are followed

IT IS THE AHERA and ASHERA regulations that are not based in science
that I have a problem with because they waste billions of dollars..

More on this tomorrow.

BOB

click here