[DMCForum] custom cooling fans, pics & all

[DMCForum] custom cooling fans, pics & all

Here are some photos of the custom cooling fan installations
I have done.

Sorry for the long links and my lack of patience.  I dont
have the patience to fool with computers this intimately.
You wouldnt believe how many times I have had computers
crash today to get these pics online.

http://www.dmcforum.org/images/technical/cooling_fans_custom_10_inch_004_N22.JPG
These are 10" fans.  The aluminum channel was bought at Home
Depot.  Its 3/4" aluminum that comes in 4' lengths.  Those
are SS nuts & bolts holding things together.  These fans
worked okay, but not quite good enough to suit the carz
owner.  It did keep the car cooler than OEM fans in my daily
driver.  Next we installed 12 inch fans.

http://www.dmcforum.org/images/technical/cooling_fans_custom_10_inch_005_N23.JPG
Here is a better pic of the 10" fans.  I thought it was a
nice job, but for the cost & trouble it really is better to
use the 12" fans.

http://www.dmcforum.org/images/technical/cooling_fans_custom_12_inch_001.JPG
This is a pic of the 12" fans installed.  At the time I took
this pic, I didnt have an appropriate lens to show under the
car very well, so Im a bit off to the side and not well
focused.  The brackets on the outer edges are better seen in
the other photos shown below.  What izent shown well is a
vertical aluminum strip in the middle.  Use your
imagination.  Itz obvious.

http://www.dmcforum.org/images/technical/cooling_fans_custom_12_inch_002.JPG
Ah, here is a better pic showing the bracket in the center.
Look at all the room to spare in there without those
horrible inefficient original fans.  Please excuse the extra
long bolts.  This was a test fit.  In fact, everything I do
seems to a temporary thing -- especially concerning where
computers and pictures on the internet are concerned.

http://www.dmcforum.org/images/technical/cooling_fans_custom_12_inch_003.JPG
This is another not-so-good pic.  This is looking at the
driverz side while laying under center front.

http://www.dmcforum.org/images/technical/cooling_fans_custom_12_inch_004.JPG
This is a pic showing how the outer brackets fit.  The extra
holes are from re-using aluminum from the 10" version of the
install.  Holes here are good cuz they block the radiator
less.  When I do another, Ill use minimal brackets and take
better pics and take more patience with a technical
write-up.  Oh, I shaved the mounting ears off a little bit.
These are removable plastic ears.  I think you'll see a
better view in the next pic.

http://www.dmcforum.org/images/technical/cooling_fans_custom_12_inch_005.JPG
These are the fans laid out on the floor the same way we
intended them to fit on the radiator.  The mounting ears in
the middle were trimmed so that they could fit closer
together.  I think I show this better in the last pic.  Also
a little bit of the shroud on both fans were trimmed with a
dremmel a little so that the vertical aluminum bracket could
fit between them while allowing the shrouds to fit flush
with the radiator fins.  I did similar for the outer ears.

http://www.dmcforum.org/images/technical/cooling_fans_custom_12_inch_006.JPG
Ah yeah, here is a pic showing how I trimmed the mounting
ears that face toward the middle of the radiator.  I did
this so that the fans could be mounted a little closer
together.  Also this is the box that one of the fans came
in.  Take note of the part number.

Well, thatz all the photos that I have available.  I had to
scan the negatives, and some of the negatives wernt washed
properly so they fogged.  Ill have to re-process them in my
own tank or just take new digital pics of my next install --
now that I have a digital camera.  Moral of the story --
dont have some photo shop develop your film for you.  They
only need the negatives to last long enough to make a set of
prints.  Most people throw the negatives away or loose them
after that.  Im too cheap to have prints made anyway.  And
Im too cheap to use apostrophes.  As you can tell Im finding
new ways to spell things to avoid them such as cant, dont,
izent, wazent, etc.  Cool, eh?  Im going to do it this way
from now on.  Our language needs to evolve.  Instead of
using an apostrophe-s to show possessive, use a z instead.
So if this is my spelling, its Waltz spelling.  See?

I hope none of you waste any money on buying NOS OEM fans or
similar low profile fans from people who like to buy things
at retail and sell them for outrageous prices.  If you want
to buy these fans, go to:
http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ and click on 'electric
fans' oh crap, I used an apostrophe -- twice.  Oh well, dont
feel like using the back space...  The better 12" fans are
$50 a pop.  I remember them being $30ish before.  But still
these are way cheaper and work way better than OEM.  BTW, I
met the guy running this site, and he is okay.

Dont worry about the lack of a shroud.  Many OEM
applications for newer cars use these flat fans with no
shroud at all, and they do fine.  Some aftermarket flat fan
kits come with mounting straps that go thru the radiator
fins.  I suppose this would work, but I would be worried
that it would chafe the tubes and cause a leak.  For the
trouble just make some brackets like I did here.  I should
have discussed the pics in reverse order, but screw it.
Someday Ill do a serious write-up on a web page, etc.  On
this car the original wiring was already cut, so we didnt
worry about dealing with OEM plugs.  Those arent water
resistent anyway, so better to use something more modern.

Im up way too late, have a headache from caffeine withdraw
and feel too pissed off at this computer.  I apologize for
taking it out on my spelling.  But our language needs
improvement just like these cars.

Walt

click here