Re: [DMCForum] Re: Tampa tech session

  I found the following article very interesting because my son was
personally involved.   2 year ago we were at a shopping center in
Orlando Park Illinois which is a republican area of Illinois.   Well,
there was a voter registration table, so we decided that since my son
was 18, this would be a great opportunity to get him registered.  So he
filled out the registration from and then started to talked politics
with the registration person.

Illinois requires you to register you political affiliation.   When he
read my sons form, he said "Oh, I see you are a democrat?"  So my sons
explained he reasoning based on some book he has read by Daniel Quinn.
We thought the question was unusual, but thought nothing of it at the time.

2 month later when it came time to vote, Guess who was not
registered??????
Did the repugnican voter registrar  throw away my sons Democratic
registration?   Well, it certainly just did not disappear into another
dimension.

This summer we registered him again.  Only this time over the interent
-directly with the election commissioner's website.   He will finally be
able to vote this time - because he now has his voter card.

When reading the article below the only question I walked away with is
"Are all these people lying or is something going on here?"  Clearly,
the US is not a "free" democracy or this stuff would never happen.
Unfortunately, this litigation will not go through the legal system
until after the election.  Too bad for those democrats who wanted to vote.

One last story for today.   How many of you saw the story in the WSJ
about 2 months ago about the Repugnican campaign operative  in a Detroit
suburb that PLEADED GUILTY to election tampering in the last election.
This repugnican party official  had all of his campaign workers
constantly calling the phones at the democratic local office to prevent
the democrats from calling people and reminding them to go vote.  Gee,
No Democrat was ever investigated or pleaded to guilty for doing such a
thing.

Was this a prelude to one of the games going to played in this election.
One of my Republican friends told me that they learned from this
experience not to use US phones.  They will do the calling from off
shore where it is not illegal!!!!  (Thanks for the update Mike!)

"You are only as free, as they let you be."

BOB

GOP Voter Drive Accused of Tossing Cards

AP Photo NY385

By DEBORAH HASTINGS

AP National Writer

In several battleground states across the country, a consulting firm
funded by the Republican National Committee has been accused of
deceiving would-be voters and destroying Democratic voter registration
cards.

Arizona-based Sproul & Associates is under investigation in Oregon and
Nevada over claims that canvassers hired by the company were instructed
to register only Republicans and to get rid of registration forms
completed by Democrats.

``We treat these complaints very seriously,'' said Oregon Secretary of
State Bill Bradbury. The Democratic office-holder said three complaints
were filed with election officials throughout the state. He declined to
provide details, citing the continuing investigation.

Substitute teacher Adam Banse wanted a summer job with flexible hours,
so he signed up to knock on doors in suburban Minneapolis and register
people to vote.

He quit after two hours. ``They said if you bring back a bunch of
Democratic cards, you'll be fired,'' Banse contends. ``At that point, I
said, `Whoa. Something's wrong here.'''

Nathan Sproul, a former head of Arizona's Republican Party and the
state's Christian Coalition branch, denies any wrongdoing and accuses
Democrats of making things up.

``This is all about making accusations,'' Sproul said Thursday. ``They
allege fraud where none exists and get the media to cover it.''

Republican National Committee spokeswoman Heather Layman responded that
her party accepts all voters, and she accused the Democratic Party of
operating under this mandate: ``If no sign of voter fraud exists, make
it up, manipulate the media into covering baseless charges and spread
fear.''

Sproul declined to name the states in which his company conducted
registration drives. His political consulting firm was founded last year
and has received nearly $500,000 from the RNC since July, according to
federal election records.

Former canvassers such as Banse have come forward in West Virginia,
Pennsylvania, Nevada and Oregon in the past two weeks alleging they were
told to register only Republicans and to ``walk away'' from people who
said they intended to vote for Democrat John Kerry.

Some said Democratic registration forms had been thrown out or ripped up.

It is illegal to tamper with voter registration cards, which are
numbered and issued by local election officials. In some states,
including Oregon, such acts are felonies.

Eric Russell of Las Vegas told The Associated Press that he watched a
Sproul supervisor tear up eight to 10 registration forms completed by
Democrats and managed to grab some of the shredded documents as
evidence. State officials are investigating his claim.

Russell said that Voters Outreach of America, the name under which
Sproul employees operated in Nevada and other states, owes him hundreds
of dollars for registering residents but refuses to pay him.

Sproul called Russell simply a disgruntled employee.

Prompted by Russell's accusations, Clark County Democrats unsuccessfully
went to court last week to try to persuade a state judge to reopen voter
registration in their county, which encompasses Las Vegas.

In West Virginia, Lisa Bragg said she refused a sorely needed $9-an-hour
job to register voters after attending an orientation session conducted
by Sproul employees.

Like Banse in Minnesota, she said canvassers were discouraged from
registering Democrats and were told to misrepresent themselves as poll
takers.

Bragg, who filed a complaint earlier this week with the West Virginia
secretary of state's office, said Friday that canvassers were given a
script that read at the bottom, ``Our goal is to register Republicans.''

She called the registration drive dishonest, adding, ``I believe
everyone has the right to vote. Even though I'm a Democrat, I would have
registered Republicans to vote.''

In Pennsylvania, Democrats in the state House of Representatives have
asked the attorney general to investigate complaints from former Sproul
canvassers who said they had been instructed to not register Democrats.
About 40 to 50 also complained they had not been promptly paid.

In Pittsburgh, library patrons protested that Sproul employees were
pressuring people to register as Republicans at tables set up outside a
Carnegie Library branch.

A similar incident was reported in Oregon in September, when the manager
of Medford library headquarters refused a Sproul request to register
voters after learning the firm was affiliated with Republicans.

click here