Re: [DMCForum] oil plug

> Misha, I would order a new oil drain plug (about $10 from
John)

Those are nice for oil drain plugs, but I would not use them
for coolant plugs.  I say this for the following reasons:

The shank on John's plugs is rather thin which allows the
crush washer to shift off-center.  Its not a big problem
when using as an oil drain plug because there is room to
hold the washer centered as I tighten it.  But this would be
much harder to reach for a coolant drain plug.  Also this
thin shank allows a larger volume for stagnant coolant to
collect & rot the area.

The brass version of John's plugs would probably be less of
a corrosion problem than the OEM steel plug, but his
stainless steel version would be the kiss of death.  As you
may already be aware, stainless steel when in contact with
aluminum alloy corrodes.  After a year or so as a coolant
plug, it would not likely ever come out again without damage
to the threads.  The corrosion issue would not be a problem
when used as an oil drain plug, but I wouldn't dare trust it
when in contact with stagnant coolant.  Remember that the
copper seal is at the head of the bolt which means that the
threads are constantly exposed to stagnant coolant.

Both stainless steel and aluminum are known for their
tendency to gall.  This means that when the alloys rub
against each other, little bugger bits tend to rub off and
damage the threads.  For this reason I would not dare trust
a stainless one even for an oil drain plug.  But brass does
not have this issue.  So if you use John's plugs, I
definitely say use the brass.  I only wish they had thicker
shanks so the washers would stay centered.

Walt