[DMCForum] Re: Intake manifold removal

Misha - I have read some of the other replies to this post, and I
have to ask the question;  What is the goal here?  To have fun
dismantling the entire fuel system, or changing the water pump?  I
have changed several pumps, and I have never removed a fuel line, a
fuel injector, or any of that stuff.  I take out the two allen
screws that attach the fuel distributor to the intake rails,
disconnect the throttle rod between the spool and the throttle body,
remove the "Y" shaped air runners that go from the throttle body up
to the intake rails, disconnect the wires to the idle microswitch,
remove the idle speed motor assembly, including the dreaded copper
pipe that is inserted into the lower regions of the intake, move all
fuel lines out of the way to the side, unplug the plug wires, and
then lift the entire center assembly up and to the left side.  This
includes the throttle body, mass air flow sensor, and fuel
distributor.  I prop this up out of the way with a 2X4, remove the
intake bolts, and lift it out.  After changing the pump, the only
trick to this is getting that copper pipe back into the rubber
grommet under the intake.  This must be done after the intake is
bolted down, and most everything put back in place.  The process of
getting the tube in has a little "ZEN" to it.  I don't break into
the fuel system at all using this procedure.  Remember to change all
seals and gaskets that you disturb.  Call me if you have a question
on this - I think you have my number.  Email me if not.

BTW - I just finished development of the remote trunk opening kit
which will compliment some of the Wings-A-Loft systems.  Gotta love
it.

Toby Peterson
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "mw98gt" <mw98gt@xxxx> wrote:

> Okay I have started to replace my water pump.  I already drained
the coolant out of the block.  That was fun finding out I needed a
10mm drive socket.  Thank you walt for lending it to me.  Now I
removed the air cleaner assembly and I am stuck again.  The shop
manual says to unscrew something from the fuel distributor.  I
assume it refers to the 3 screws connecting it to the afm unit.  If
so how in the hell do I access the 3rd screw, do i have to undo the
fuel line?  Or is there some other method?

> Misha

click here