[DMCForum] Re: Intake manifold removal

There are several ways to skin a cat.  I dont like opening
up fuel lines that dont need to be opened up.  But if you
have a fist full of new copper crush washers then go take
all the lines loose from the fuel metering head (a/k/a fuel
distributor), and when you put it all back together be
satisfied that you know a previous mechanic didn't re-use
crappy ones or tighten them wrong ready to spring a leak.

If I were removing the intake manifold, I would want all of
the fuel lines completely out of the way which means taking
the injectors out, probably leaving them attached to the
fuel lines and fuel metering head and putting the whole mess
on a shelf while I work on the rest of the engine.

I heard a rumor that Harbor Freight on Bearss Avenue (just
west of Florida Avenue on the south side of the road) sells
assortment kits of crush washers in either copper &
aluminum.

You could just as well leave the fuel metering head attached
to the air meter assembly and remove that whole mess as a
unit from the intake manifold.  Then you dont risk dropping
the plunger from the fuel metering head.  If you do it this
way, remove the rams horns and the two 5mm hex head bolts on
either side of the fuel metering head.  Then lift out the
air metering unit with the fuel metering head attached.  But
it sort of comes out like a Chinese puzzle.  You have to
shift it to one side and lift the opposite side out first
for it to clear.

Keep track of how things came apart.  It is nice to put the
fuel lines & plug wires back the way the factory had them.
If you have nothing to compare to then it is really hard to
remember.  But then I am not famous for my memory anyway.
;-)

Walt

click here