[DMCForum] Re: Cooling system failure

How do I drain whatever coolant is left in my system?  Is there a
drain plug on the radiator like my mustang had, or do i just remove
the lowest coolant hose on the system, I assume going to the
radiator?

How many gallons of coolant does the car hold around? What coolant
is recommended?

I am doing my major service at this time and since I have owned the
car I have not changed the oil.  I am sure it doesnt really matter,
but what oil is recommended for this car (brand and blend)?  My
engine has 62k miles.

Misha #5197

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> Hey, Jordan has some really great pics of the area.  Your
> steel heater hose pipe may be rusted.  New ones are now
> available.  I think John Hervey has a stainless version.
> For the trouble I would just eliminate it even if your old
> one is in good condition.  The reason for it was to simplify
> factory installation.  But if you were or R&R the engine,
> you could as easily take the hose loose at the aluminum pipe
> at the frame.  If you keep a metal pipe in there, it is two
> more spots that need hose clamps.  Silicone hose is cheaper
> than custom bent metal pipe.
>
> I suggest using only silicone hoses.  If you buy a kit from
> a vendor, dont waste your money on any black rubber hoses.
> The only exception are two short 45 degree hoses at the
> water pump.  Those are best cut out of a cheap autoparts
> store hose off the shelf.  That is what a vender will sell
> you anyway.  Also do not waste your money on hose clamps
> that are not specifically meant for silicone hoses!  The
> kinds of clamps that have the slots for the worm/screw to
> grab will cut silicone all to hell.
>
> For real hoses and proper clamps, go to Amazon Hose & Rubber
> in Tampa.  I keep several feet of both sizes of blue
> silicone heater hose with the proper clamps on hand.  I am
> not sure if Amazon stocks the big hose for the back of the
> water pump.  You only need about 2", so you could get that
> from a DeLorean vendor.
>
> Walt

click here