Re: [DMCForum] Cooling system failure

Misha, previously you said that the only coolant 'leak' was
coming from the header bottle over flow hose.  So now since
you see that you have a real leak coming from the water pump
area, the most practical thing to do is take the intake
manifold off and "do everything" under it.  The intake
manifold has to come off anyway to replace the water pump.

Since DMCH had been thru your car, if they were thorough
they would have replaced the hoses behind the water pump,
but then maybe they didnt see a need to get into that area.

Here is the procedure I recommend:
Take the intake manifold off & Y-pipe off, clean everything,
repair broken fasteners (one or two are likely to need to be
drilled out).  Fill the valley-of-death with hi-temp
silicone RTV, replace water pump & associated hoses
including heater hoses.

While you have access, I highly recommend replacing cap,
rotor, wires & plugs.

I highly recommend the Volvo water pump/pulley setup that
DPNW/Toby sells.  You will need the o-ring kit to R&R the
intake manifold.  It would be a good idea to have new M7
bolts (there are 4 of them) that hold the intake manifold
on.  Also replace the 4 M7 bolts that hold the Y-pipe on.
Make sure you get o-rings for the Y-pipe.  There are 3 bolts
that hold the water pump on.  You should have new ones of
those on hand too.  If the belts are old, now is the time to
replace them along with the idler pulley bearings.

If you get me involved in doing the work, I have assorted
thread repair kits on hand (helicoil & Timecert), taps,
dies, etc.

The best thing to do is make a shopping list, and make sure
you have everything on hand before you start the project.
It can easily be a two day project.

Walt

click here