Re: [DMCForum] galvanising chassis

John Dore wrote:

>Hi Lads,
>ANyone have any opinions on hot dip galvanising the DeLorean frame?
>I'm thinking of doing it to mine....
>
>The liquid should strip all the epoxy off on its own and get into all
>the hard to reach areas. Then I think I would like to powdercoat the
>frame back to silver, although the galvanised metal probably would
>not need this.
>
>Any thoughts?

Did this to mine.  In most States it's illegal to dip the frame to strip
it, due to excessive smoking of the epoxy burning off (don't know about
the UK).  I had 95% of all my epoxy stripped using volcanic ash, very
sharp, and cuts fast.  The next thing to look out for is they need to
dip the frame in flux before dipping into the zinc.  What happens now,
is burnt flux will get trapped in the boxed sections of the frame, you
need to make sure they clean and rinse it properly.  Most places that
make bridge parts have a tank big enough.  Next, epoxy doesn't stick to
zinc all that great, as a matter of fact, not much will stick to great
to it.  To get any sort of bonding, you need to get a special metal
etchant specifically meant for zinc.  I was able to find some at the
local autobody supply.  Other thing to be concerned about is the size of
the dipping tank, does he have to dip just once, or two halves.  Same
goes for powder coating with the oven, the powder coater may resort to
using lamps.  Outside of all this, it was worth it for me.

Paul

click here