  From: John Dore
  To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 4:11 PM
  Subject: [DMCForum] Re: Marc got a job.

  Hey Marvin,

  As another guy who works at "computer crap" I know where Marc is
  coming from. It doesn't mean he doesn't take pride in his job or is a
  bad employee, just that its an easy explaination of what he does for
  a living!!

  Most people would stare back at you with a glassy look in their eyes
  if you tried to describe any "computer" job in any detail, because
  lets face it, either they won't have a clue what you are talking
  about, or they couldn't give a shit, as it simply sounds really
  boring when you try and explain it.

  Also, from what I've read Marc say before, he has tried knocking on
  company doors that haven't actually advertised positions, as you
  suggested he could try.

  In my case, I am not too happy working every day with computers. Its
  fine for now, but I hope I have a more interesting job in a few years
  time. The only reason I decided to get a degree in
  IT&Telecommunications was at the time I chose the course (1998) the
  IT industry was booming in the USA, and I figured it was the best
  line of work to get me a full time job in the USA, and I could get
  sponsored by a company for a visa. Never actually had an interest in
  pursuing it as a long term career. In fact, I would have been much
  happier doing automotive engineering, or music, or being a teacher.

  My plan is still to get to the USA thru IT, work at it for another 10
  years after that, and then reassess if I really want to be doing
  computer crap for the rest of my life, who knows what I'll actually
  decide to do at that point, but the thing is, until that point, I'll
  always do the best job I can, take pride in my work, and refer to my
  job to anyone who asks, as "computer crap", hope this clears it up a
  bit for you! At least this is my view of this line of work.

  Thanks,
  John

  PS Well done Marc.

  --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Marvin" <marv@xxxx> wrote:
  > As an employer, if I saw or heard that a newly hired employee, when
  asked what their new job was, answered "computer crap", they'd be
  gone in a flash. Pride in what you do for a living, enthusiasm for
  the company, excitment of being part of a new team, and agressiveness
  to achieve positive results, all these are what is needed by your new
  employer. If you start with a lousy attitude, you'll be a lousy
  employee. You'll grumble even more, when fired, and the next job pays
  40% less than this one.

  > You apparently have so much talent and seem to enjoy auto related
  conversations. Why not focus on that industry in the computer area. I
  can guarantee you, that there are companies dying for reliable self
  starting employees with enthusiasm, and computer knowledge. Not all
  companies put out ads. You have to kick doors open to sell yourself.
  It's very easy to be down when out of work for a long period of time.

  > It has been said by others smarter than me, that when you find
  yourself in a lemon pile, make lemonade!

  > Marv.
  > # 17077
  > marv@xxxx

  Service.