[DMCForum] Found out why my heater doesn't work

[DMCForum] Found out why my heater doesn't work

The metal lines were completely clogged. The buildup of crud (hard
stuff, like barnacles on a boat) was like a solid cap on both ends of
both lines. I loosened the gunk with a wire and blew the lines out
with my air compressor. What was this stuff?

Which brings me to Ryan's Safety Tip #23: Don't blow a heater line out
with 90psi air when it's full of very old orange coolant. The stuff
vaporized at the other end of the line; I saw this strange cloud
forming at the front of the car. Within a minute I was having to exert
what seemed like an awful lot of energy in order to breathe and felt
woozy, so I made a mad rush to open my garage door and get some fresh
air.

Latest update on my clutch replacement, it's nearly complete. I simply
have to finish realigning and bolting in the transmission (it's almost
perfectly aligned, but I hadn't eaten for 12 hours and it was 8:30pm
so I called it a day), hook up my new metal braided line, and fill &
bleed it (as well as the cooling system). Hopefully I can finish this
up tomorrow. I also installed my Toby Tabs while I was at it and
replaced the heater control solenoid and rubber heater lines in the
rear, the main seal, and a number of other seals & gaskets.

It's been quite a job and over $1,000 in parts this week alone, but
this finalizes almost everything I've needed to do to the car.

click here