Re: [DMCForum] rear view mirror adhesive and more

Re: [DMCForum] rear view mirror adhesive and more

> > What's the best way to re-attach the back of the T-panel.
>
> Reupholster it.  ;-)

The fabric hasn't detached from the backing board -- it's the entire
panel that's dangling with fabric firmly attached.

> But I suppose you are trying to put
> that off?

Yes, I am.  The interior will be a whole other phase of bringing
10440 back to its glory.

> > It's sagging in the back just where it meets the rear
> window behind the driver's seat .
>
> Good place for a few staples if you stay near the back edge.
> :-)  Otherwise there are a pair of ribbon cables running
> across.

I can't see anything back there because its not falling down that
much - just enough to be annoying. I can see it in my rear-view
mirror.

> Headliner material comes 'pre-assembled' as a layer of
> fabric attached to a layer of foam.  This is glued to the
> headliner backboard using contact cement.  So if you find
> glue between the board and what's left of the foam, it is
> probably original.  If there is any glue between the foam &
> the fabric then it is part of a patch repair.

First I was going to just rip out the old fabric but from working with
vintage clothes I know how nasty that old adhesive can be on old
bonded fabrics when it disintegrates into a fine brown powder.  And
I don't want to have it blowing around me while I drive so I left it
alone.  The headliner fabric is light grey and almost feels like flannel
jammies - very soft.

> Yeah, the material is just folded over about an inch and
> glued on the back side.

It's what it's glued to that's falling down.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada