[DMCForum] Re: Getting this %^&* transmission out!

[DMCForum] Re: Getting this %^&* transmission out!

Slow down and take a deep breath...

There are 3 flywheel protection shields, necessary because unlike a
traditional domestic block, back of the PRV is shaped like a fat
letter "Y". Shields fill in the gaps.
- Passenger side shield is held in place by the starter (starter
mounting bolts pass through it)
- Driver side shield is exactly opposed, held top & bottom by 2 7mm
bolts from the engine end. Is going to be very difficult to access
those bolts with the catalytic converter in place
- My bottom shield was missing, but I believe it's held by 7mm bolts
from the transmission end

The bolts you removed at the "nose" of the transmission should be
re-inserted. That accesses internal workings of the transmission.

Did you forget to unbolt the transmission frame mounts? Or the shift
lever?

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ryanpwright" <yahoo1@xxxx> wrote:
> It's stuck, or something. I've followed the directions in the manual,
> but I can't find the "small metal shields" nor the "flywheel shield".
> I've removed the shift linkages, I've removed the three (?) small
> starter bolts on the right (left when you're laying under the car,
> looking up with your feet sticking out the back), and I've removed
> four "main bolts" on the bellhousing, one in each corner.
>
> I've also removed the mounts on the "nose" of the transmission and it
> is free - I can move it around. But it moves the entire engine,
> exhaust, etc, with it. I am supporting it with a floor jack.
>
> Are there more than 7 bolts (4 corners + 3 starter) securing the
> bellhousing to the engine??? If so, where are they?!? I can't find
> them. I just can't budge this thing. Been trying for hours. I've
> looked everywhere I can fit my head and felt everywhere I can fit my
> hands...
>
> Please help; I need to get the flywheel down to a shop soon to be
> machined, otherwise I won't be able to finish this project this
> weekend (they'll be closed tomorrow and probably Monday... I only have
> a few hours left today to get this thing out...)
>
> -Ryan

click here