Re: [DMCForum] walt.. HID headlights

Misha,

I bought the Sylvania Xenarc thru Sylvania's web site.  They
cost several hundred dollars and then came down in price
shortly after I bought them (as luck would have it.)  This
was well over a year ago, and I still haven't installed them
yet.  My so-called job keeps me too busy.  The lights that
are in the car work, and there are too many other parts of
the car that need attention first.

I hooked them up to a car battery & aimed them around.  The
beam pattern is similar to European style beam patterns.
They are far superior to the sawed-off shot gun beam pattern
of traditional American headlights.  But unfortunately they
still f'ed it up.  How do I describe the beam pattern?  The
top of the beam pattern is a horizontal line.  It's dark
above that and bright below.  But in the middle of the
pattern there is a bright spot which kills it for meeting
true E code specs.  Also for E code the passenger side of
the beam pattern should angle higher, but the Xenarcs are
flat all the way across (with the bright spot in the
middle).

Whatever you decide to buy, I suggest choosing a setup that
will give a legal beam pattern.  People are selling
aftermarket HID kits that have beam patterns that are much
worse than American standards.  When you use an HID with the
wrong reflector then you become a road hazard.

At least with the Xenarc setup, you can keep the light
pattern mostly on the road and out of people's eyes.  It's
also cool seeing the chromatic aberration around the
perimeter of the beam pattern.  It makes it look like your
headlights are changing colors when you see the car from a
distance and off to the side.

Somewhere on the DMCNews.com technical section someone shows
how they installed Xenarc HIDs on their DeLorean.  But they
turned it into a spaghetti bowl because they didn't want to
shorten Sylvania's wiring harness.

Hey Misha, do you realize what the spell checker suggests I
should replace your name with. :-)

Walt    Tampa, Florida

click here