[DMCForum] Re: Paying for college

Farrar,

>> No wonder I take pride in things that nobody else appreciates
>> ... I have earned everything I have.

This is what I'm talking about. I don't look down on people for giving
their children as much as they can. However, I don't think it's
appropriate to just hand things over to young adults - especially if
the parent has to sell off possessions or go into debt to afford it.
When someone says "I'm being FORCED to sell x due to my kid entering
college", I think, "What a snot nosed little brat. Why don't you get a
job, apply for financial aid, and help your parents out a little? This
is YOUR education. YOUR life, YOUR career. Do something about it.
Don't just expect it to be handed to you on a stainless steel platter."

Now, maybe that's not the case here. Maybe the parents don't really
want the DeLorean that much and would rather give the money to their
child. I have no problem with that. I just know that if my father
would have said, "Son, we're selling the boat so you can go to
college", I would have said "No way. I'll take fewer classes at a
time, get a job and stretch it out a bit. If you want to help, just do
so where you can, but don't sell off something you enjoy. I'm an adult
now and I can take responsibility for this."

I, too, earned everything I have, and while I will certainly help my
kids, it's not going to just be handed to them. If my children ever
suggested I should sell my DeLorean or remortgage my home to pay for
their adult education, let's just say they'd quickly regret making
such foolish demands.

And this has absolutely nothing to do with valuing the item over the
kid. Of course my children are more important than a stupid car, or a
house, or any amount of money in the world. I know where my priorities
lie: With God and the people I love. That doesn't mean I'm going to
teach my kids financial irresponsibility by just handing everything to
them.

-Ryan

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins@xxxx> wrote:
> You have been fortunate.
>
> Looks like I'm the only one on this list who grew up without any money.
> No wonder I take pride in things that nobody else appreciates ... I
have
> earned everything I have. What a strange concept.
>
> --Farrar
>
> mw98gt wrote:
> > When I was born my parents set up a trust in my name to fund my
> > college education.  It meant the world to me and I will do the same
> > for my children.  I had friends who could not enjoy the college
> > experience and get as good of an education due to having to work a
> > full time job making barely enough to cover living expenses, not to
> > mention tuition which they will be paying off for a long while.

click here