[DMCForum] Still more ignition crap...(positive results)

[DMCForum] Still more ignition crap...(positive results)

Yesterday Mike C. and I replaced my plugs and wires. I did not install
the pulse coil because if I do too many things at once, I'll never
know what the cure was. 2 of the old wires measured "infinite" and the
rest measured between 5k and .95mega-ohms. (almost 10k) The rotor
resistance seemed about right but I replaced it anyway.

None of this made any difference. The car ran like crap all the way
home. Blue coil, red coil, new ballast, old ballast, different
symptoms and none of them good enough.

Today, I did yet more tinkering. I was curious if perhaps I had
mounted the timing scale off on the engine when I put it back
together. The timing was currently at 11 degrees from the Pittsburgh
tech session. I set it to 15 degrees. Then I cleaned the ground for
the ignition ECU.

This made a significant difference. The car runs -much- better with
either the red, or blue coils. I can floor the throttle and accelerate
strongly, but I suspect I'm still lagging a bit. The red coil doesn't
have a "power drop-off" like it used to, but it does have a stutter
under hardest loads. BUT I have to run it with a 1 ohm vs. 1.8 ohm
ballast which is what it's supposed to use. I think it can handle it
though. The blue coil runs better still, but there is still a brief
stutter upon take off. It seems to give good power. I can pull over 55
mph in 2nd gear, easily past 5,000 RPMs. I won't be doing that again
though. Also, despite the fact that the timing is set for 15 degrees,
there was absolutely no pinging or knocking, and mileage was good.

Lastly, a little bird called me tonight and informed me that the Bosch
18kv coil -may- not be perfectly compatible with our ignition ECU but
a cure may be in the works. I need someone with an EE degree. Contact
me off list.

Rich A.

click here