Re: [DMCForum] Ohm's Law

Ohm's law is V=IR but you are labouring under a misapprehension. The
socket does not "put out 4 amps". It is a voltage source, not a current
source. It will put out a continuous voltage regardless of the load on
it, which means that it's limited only by the size of the fuse (or
ultimately the current capacity of the alternator/battery) - in theory,
of course!

It's more likely that there's something wrong with the socket itself and
with different plugs, you're shorting the socket out. My Nokia charger
works fine in mine.

Martin

cruznmd wrote:

> I am so embarrased to even be asking this question as a guy who is
> deeply into telecom and EE but:
>
> How many amps is the cigar lighter -supposed- to put out?? Mine puts
> out around 4 amps. It runs my little air-pump just fine, but of
> course it blows the fuses in my cigar-lighter adapter devices such as
> cell-phone chargers, and mini-disc player power supply. They are only
> rated for 1000 mA.
>
> Do I have a short somewhere, or does it just need attenuated?
> If I do need to attenuate the circuit, how many ohm resistor should I
> install? Based on 13.5 volts and 4.5 amps DC measured at the outlet,
> I figured I should put in a 50 ohm resistor.
>
> Now that I've publicly admitted I'm a dumbass feel free to advise me.
>
> Rich A.

click here