Re: [DMCForum] Re: Knights Who Say "Vacuum" (Martin G)

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Knights Who Say "Vacuum" (Martin G)

There's nothing wrong with using the term "vacuum" just as there's
nothing wrong with talking about a "lower final drive" even though what
it means in real terms is a _higher_ ratio. Centrifugal force is another
good one - that's even defined as an "imaginary" force. I'm sure you'll
argue this one, so before you do, go and look it up in any half decent
encyclopaedia, I guarantee the term "imaginary force" will be there.

"Vacuum" is not a force in its own right, it's absense of atmospheric
pressure, and can only ever act as well as a positive pressure of 14.7 psi.

o You've frequently said how over-complicated the 066 cpr is

o Gary suggested that talking about vacuum as a force is poor science,
and in true engineering terms one should think only in terms of
pressure. I did so, and suddenly brain-bending understanding became a
piece of piss.

o By thinking in these terms, the 066 CPR's operation suddenly becomes
crystal clear and can even be applied to a turbocharged engine to enrich
under boost, simply by taking advantage of the pressure differential
operation of the 066 cpr.

I never suggested the manual didn't talk about vacuum, nor is it wrong
to do so, I merely suggested that thinking only in terms of pressure is
easier.

Argue with that. Go on, I dare you.

Martin

content22207 wrote:

> Martin's attention is humbly directed to Page D:01:12 of the DeLorean
> Workshop Manual (not written by JZD personally) where the word "Ni",
> er, "vacuum" is used no less than 6 times in text explaining Series
> 066 CPR enrichment (2 times in the illustrations).
>
> Urp.
>
> Bill Robertson

click here