[DMCForum] OT - Cryogenics. was: PCV Routes Manifold Vacuum Through The

[DMCForum] OT - Cryogenics. was: PCV Routes Manifold Vacuum Through The Crankcase

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "checksix3" <jetjock11@xxxx> wrote:

> it will thru many other materials. It's why it's difficult to use
> elastomers for sealing below 10E8 Torr or so.

The superconducting magnet is welded in a cylinder that contains the
liquid helium. Some systems contain hundreds of liters of LHe. This
chamber will have vent tubes to atmosphere for electrical service,
LHe vent and fill.

All around the LHe chamber is the evacuated cryostat. Working our
way out from the LHe chamber are several thermal radiation shields,
a liquid nitrogen chamber, aluminized mylar sheets, and finally the
room temperature outer. Although the LHe chamber's inside is at
atmospheric pressure, there is ultra-high vacuum on the outside of
the LHe chamber.

Think of it as a giant, fancy, Thermos bottle.

We pump the dewar down to 10E-6 torr or so then start adding the
liquid cryogens. Ultimately, the vacuum level of dewar will get down
to 10E-9 or so. The cold LHe chamber cryopumps the contaminents out
of the evacuated space. This will cause the contaminents to "freeze
out" on the LHe chamber's outer walls (the evacuated side). We also
install charcoal getters on the LHe chamber's outer walls to absorb
some of these contaminents.

We leak check the vessel using a mass spectrometer helium leak
detector with minimum sensitivity of 4 X 10-10 std cc/sec.

The leak can appear as liquid helium surrounding the superconducting
magnet is pulled or more correctly "pushed" through microscopic
holes or cracks in the welds.

Most of the time leaks don't happen, but you can imagine the
headache of cutting apart a vessel to find a microscopic leak, that
only appears when the vessel is at 4.2K and is under ultra high
vaccum.

E-mail off list if you want to discuss this further. I think we are
boring the DeLorean community.

-Brian
VIN# 4494

click here