[DMCForum] Re: Listening to the car

Walt,

I beg to differ. The manual, page M:01:01, para. 4 states:

"The advance is mechanically controlled according to engine SPEED by
governor weights inside the distributor body....and by according to
engine LOAD by vacuum control acting directly on the base plate..."

This tells me that when not under load, such as maintaining speed, or
coasting (in gear), that the weights maintain correct advance, and
that "under load", such as when pulling out from a stop, or hard
acceleration, the vacuum provides the necessary advance, because the
weights have not come into play yet.

This is supported by the fact that my car runs well when only
maintaining speed, by then the weights are maintaining enough
advance, and the fact that it revvs fairly easily when spiking the
throttle in my driveway. There is no "load" on the engine, so not
nearly as much vacuum advance is necessary AND the centrifugal
advance comes into play far sooner. However, the harder I "spike" the
throttle in the driveway, the more pronounced the bogging-out becomes
because even in the driveway, if you ask the engine to go from 700-
ish RPM's to 4-5k RPM's, you create enough load to require more
vacuum advance.

Of course, I'll offer my disclaimer now that I may be mis-
understanding what I'm reading and I could be full of $hit. :) Inputs
are welcome.

Rich A.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> Rich, I don't see how it could be the advance.  I checked this on
my car first testing mechanical advance (plugging the vacuum line)
and then again testing with vacuum advance added using a hand vacuum
pump.  It all checked out fine.  But then this was with the car
sitting still & not under load.  But load or no load, it should work
the same.

click here