Re: [DMCForum] Re: Rubbing Martin's Fur Backwards

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Rubbing Martin's Fur Backwards

Bill, I am taking this particular thread tongue-in-cheek. I will explain
my position.

I don't like the way you shout from the rooftops that "old is better
than new" with no real basis, or more specicifally, qualification.

My first car, built in 1989 was a Citroen BX DTR Turbo. It had a 1.7
turbo-diesel engine. This engine was the most fantastic piece of
simplicity even you'd have to like it, Bill. There was no electric fuel
pump in thw whole car, just a mechanical unit run off the cam belt.
There was no ECU. There was ONE item (besides the glow plugs) that was
in any way electrical on the entire engine - and that was the solenoid
valve that turned the engine off by cutting the fuel. Once running, this
engine was entirely self-sufficient - as long as it got air and fuel, it
would run underwater! The engne itself was cast iron with an ally head
and would typically run to 150,000 miles, then reauire a new head
gasket, then it'd run the same again with no more than oil changes.

I know where you're coming from, I really do - but today I drive a
Citroen Xantia HDi - which is the 2 litre turbo direct injection diesel
- which puts out 110hp and 250Nm of torque compared to the BX's 80hp and
rather less torque. The turbo comes in on the xantia as low as you like,
on the BX it was 2500rpm and quite annoying, even though it went like a
rocket after. The Xantia's got electronic everything and it's the way
forward.

But being an electronic engineer, I'm not scared of this stuff.

Martin

content22207 wrote:

> Don't know which irritates you more:
> - That I drive wonderful old automobiles
> - That I am in total bliss doing so
> Either way, it's worth driving them just to watch you squirm.
>
> It actually is to my advantage that you DON'T look at motoring the
> same way I do. You won't be competing with me for a finite number of
> remaining autos.
>
> I find it hard to take seriously automotive advice from people who
> change cars every 4 or 5 years. If I had to move to a new house or
> marry a new wife as often as some people buy a new car, I'd quickly go
> mad.
>
> Bill Robertson

click here