[DMCForum] Re: More ignition analysis (ON TOPIC) WALT

[DMCForum] Re: More ignition analysis (ON TOPIC) WALT

> My new ballast resistor arrived today so I installed it.
No change.
John Hervey sent me a new ignition ECU. No change.

Rich, I think that 8.5V is the upper end of what voltage you
should measure there unless the starter is engaged. (*)  I
have read many places that the coil voltage is supposed to
be somewhere around 6 to 8 volts.  If you are running
typically at 10.8V, then maybe this is enough to overheat
the coil eventually burning it up.  The quirk here is that
if you have some other problem affected by low voltage, then
maybe running the coil too hot will hide the symptom.  But
you replaced the resistor and still get high voltages at the
coil?

(*) = but then I'm a dummy cuz I haven't personally measured
these things myself.  I've just read about it in various
places, so I'm up on theory enough to be dangerous.

Walt