[DMCForum] Re: Replaced the brakes yesterday

[DMCForum] Re: Replaced the brakes yesterday

That was probably me that posted the 16 days.  I only spent about an
hour a day working on it each day after work because it was around
110 here in Phoenix.  No AC in the garage and an hour is about all I
can take.

Yes, I agree that the brake system is really easy to work on, but I
replaced/rebuilt everything with the exception of the master cylinder
and hard lines.  That took a little extra time.  Just getting the
calipers apart was a chore.

Not to mention I removed the front rotors and had them turned and
trued by a machine shop and had new bearings pressed by the same
place.  I had to wait a few days to get those back.

Also had to bleed the system twice after I flushed it.

16 days later, it was done.  I could have finished it sooner, but I
lack the big red "S" on my chest.

Johnny
5518

> It was quite easy. What's with these horror stories I've been
hearing?
> One guy told me it took him 16 DAYS...
>
> My calipers were fine. Moved nice and smooth, no problems. Rotors
were
> solid, too. No grooves or warping. I replaced the brake pads all
> around, flushed the nasty old fluid (it was DARK YELLOW) and
refilled
> with Valvoline SynPower. Took 3 hours including eating breakfast in
> the middle of the job and taking a couple of breaks. Also got the
> parking brake adjusted. It holds nice and sold now, even on my
sloped
> driveway.
>
> I love the brake system on this car. Much easier to work on and a
> better design than others I've played with. I was initially scared
> when I saw the rear caliper bolts, but found that someone
thoughtfully
> included access holes that made the job quick & smooth.
>
> Also, nice that the previous owner left a brand new set of front &
> rear brake pads just sitting in the front of the car. Saved me some
money.

> -Ryan

click here