From: cruznmd [mailto:racuti1@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 8:39 AM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Re: Shakedown Breakdown (More ignition troubleshooting)

Good question. I have not measured it within the last few days, but
the last time I measured it, it was around 7 or 8 volts, which I know
is a bit low.

The one thing I don't want to hear, is that this is a pulse coil
problem. The dizzy is a pain in the ass to get at, and I have never
taken a Bosch dizzy apart. I don't think that's the problem though
becuase it's usually a "die, cool down, work, die again" symptom.

Rich A.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand@xxxx>
wrote:
> What is the -voltage- at the coil?

troubleshooting)

> After advancing the timing back to 13 degrees, there was definitely
> an improvement in performance, but still some small bit of the
> problem remains. I was even able to run the new coil with better
> results, but still the old, blue coil works better.
>
> Two things of note:
> 1. When the ballast resistor has been powered for a while and it's
> good and hot, the resistance increases. The lower one read .9 ohms
> and the upper one read .7-.8 ohms. This is nearly double the rated
> value. I think it's breaking down and should be replaced.
>
> 2. With my shiny, new timing light, I was able to observe the
> different types of timing advance;
>
> In accordance w/the manual, under vacuum advance, it has 3 steps
and
> the timing incremented accordingly. I then removed the vacuum line
> from the distributor and checked the centrifugal advance. It
> increments to the proper points at the proper RPM's as far as I can
> tell. It's hard to see the tach and read the timing at the same
time.

> Under load, it's a different story. The car hesitates a bit when
you
> pull away, as though the advance is sticking and when it "breaks
> free", acceleration is smooth and steady.
>
> Does this sound cracked or is it feasible?
>
> Rich A.

click here