From: doctorDHD@xxxxxxx [mailto:doctorDHD@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2004 7:16 AM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Binnacle

I started with the contact cemented vinyl, sticky side up on the floor and
lowered the binnacle upside down onto it.  Thus the first contact was on
the
center of the top of the binnacle.

It might be easier if you had an extra set of hands.  From there I
stretched
out the vinyl and went all around the outside surface.  The rear  gets
folded
around the tucked inside.

Yes, you have to apply contact cement on the inside surface too. (You are
supposed to remove the instruments!)

Now for the front and curves.  You have to leave a lot of extra so  when you
flatten out the vinyl around a curve you can pull it tight with your  hand
from the inside of the binnacle.  Take your time.  Then you will  notice it
starting to bunch up.  You will need to cut it so that you are  left with
sections
that can be pulled from behind in different directions to  eliminate the
bunching up.  Obviously when you cut it make sure the cut  part will be
hidden by
the black bezel.  There may be some bunching up or  overlap on the inside
and I
had to use some making tape to hold the vinyl in  place until it dried over
night.  The glue sometimes seemed to react with  the masking tape to loosen
it
so you have to watch it for a few hours and may  need to reposition things
that are under tension a few times.

*** Very Important....When you have your nice over sized vinyl, upside down
on the floor and start painting on the contact cement. ***Make sure you put
something to hold down the corners of the vinyl****  If you don't you will
find the while drying, the glued vinyl will curl up on itself****

_!@#$%_ (mailto:!@#$) ^&*( is what I said when it happened to  me!

Anyone would needs more specific please email me.

D² & 6530

click here