From: ryanpwright [mailto:yahoo1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 1:29 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Re: hideously off topic...

Greg,

This person has set his web server to check the referrer ID. This
means he looks at the previous site you came from, and if it isn't his
site, he switches to that "bandwidth stealer" notification. The
picture is viewable if you go to his web site (any page on his domain)
first, then paste the link into your browser.

Why do people do this? Because some web admins "steal" bandwidth by
linking directly to your images instead of putting them on their own
server. For example, say there was an image on my server that you
liked. You can place that image on your web page with a standard HTML
tag. When you do that, you can either download the picture from my
server and put a copy on your own, or you can link directly to mine.

Well, if you link directly to mine, every visitor from your web page
has to download that image from MY server! Even though the image is
part of your web page. Bandwidth can be expensive when you're hosting
a server, so when people start doing this, it costs the site in
question real money. So more and more people are checking referrer IDs
to ensure that images are only sent to people who are actually on
their own web page.

Hope this technical clarification wasn't too boring.

-Ryan

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@xxxx> wrote:
> Well sonnofadiddly.  Ok, I posted it in the photo section on the
Yahoo page.
> It is the very last one, titled 'plumbtruck.jpg' but I think it may have
> already lost its funny by now.
>
> Greg

click here