[DMCForum] DeLo vs. Porsche perform. was: stupid driving lesson question

[DMCForum] DeLo vs. Porsche perform. was: stupid driving lesson question

Thanks for the insight. Very interesting!

I agree, that had JZD had more time, things would be very different
today. He -knew- the car needed more. Why else would he have Legend
industries involved so early?

The handling comparisons are interesting to hear you tell. I take
curves pretty fast, usually 2x the posted cautionary limit (depending)
but I've never driven a Porsche so I don't know if that's good or
not. I am aware that the odd weight bias could make the PRV the
leading end of the car. :) I've never had even a small bit of
slippage. Just FYI, I'm running BFGoodrich Radial T/A's.

I did not at all feel that the front end was in danger of rising up
on me at higher speeds. Maybe it's all those tools I keep in the
trunk. Just kidding! I've actually been nearly "tool-less" for
several months now. I just keep a small "ready-bag" which any car
really should have. At any rate, to me, the car seems to get
smoother, the faster I go. It's kind of exhilarating.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "bkp944" <bk_pollard@xxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> been ID'd as BKP944 for a long time. My DeLorean VIN# is 4494, so I
> guess with a little creative thinking, my ID still applies :-).
>
> Straight line acceleration is comparable to our DeLoreans. The
> difference is in handling. The 944 has the engine in front and the
> transmission in the rear. This created a 51/49% weight ratio. It is
> hard to describe the feeling, but one can take curves very, very
> fast and the car is well-behaved. It is hard to make the 944 break
> loose from the road.
>
> The DeLorean's weight distribution is all messed up in comparison
> the 944. I would never attempt to take curves in the DeLorean like
> did the 944. It is just simply the difference between the two very
> different vehicles.
>
> I wish John DeLorean would have allowed Porsche to take their time
> and design our cars. Can you imagine a gull-winged 911-type car,
> 500+ horsepower, etc. :-)
>
> Anyway, I do not to step on anyone's toes about the DeLorean. I
> really enjoy mine, but realize like with *any* car, there are pros
> and cons.
>
> Technology has followed a steep curve since the DeLoreans were
> built. We are a bit jaded. I think the Porsche 924 (competing car
in
> 1981) had 140 horsepower. In 1983, Porsche introduced the 944,
> correcting almost all the problems with the 924. Too bad John Z.
> never got that opportunity. The next generation DMC-12 would
> probably been very formidable.
>
> You said you have had your DeLorean up to 110 MPH. I've not had
mine
> above 85 MPH. My front end gets so light at those speeds that I do
> not want to push it. My front end is at stock height and the car
has
> about 45K miles on it.
>
> Have you upgraded your suspension and lowered the front end? I plan
> to do that this winter.
>
> -Brian
> VIN#4494
>
> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> > Brian,
> >
> > You make an interesting statement. You definitely drive yours
> harder
> > than I do, but I wouldn't call it abuse. If your car is in good
> > repair then I don't see anything wrong with it. Of course you'll
> be
> > getting lower mileage. I know it sounds crazy, but burn a few
> tanks
> > of 87 octane and see what happens.
> >
> > A question for you: (This may sound stupid) How would you rate
the
> > DeLorean in performance performance compared to your Porsche? You
> > seem to indicate that it was an older model, not built within the
> > last 5 years. Is the DeLorean really that feeble, or are we jaded
> in
> > our expectations because of present-day technology?
> >
> > My feeling on the car's performance is that it's adequate. The
A/C
> > definitely drags it down, but when it's off I feel I
> > have "comparable" acceleration to other normal street cars, and
> I've
> > had up to 110 mph. Most people who want to race me could probably
> out-
> > last me, but they usually lose their nerve and give up once I
pass
> > 100 mph. I wouldn't want to race a top-end BMW or Mercedes or
> > anything...but you get the point.
> <SNIP>

click here