Re: [DMCForum] Continued: Martin's HP

Yet again, Martin is 100% correct and Bill is 100% wrong.

Horsepower measures POWER.  HENCE THE NAME HORSE*POWER*.  It is measured
in Newton*meters/second.  A 200 horsepower engine (reached at 60,000rpm)
generates more power than a 199 horsepower engine (reached at 1rpm).  The
199 HP engine will have MUCH MORE torque, which is WORK, not power.  It
is measured in Newton*meters.

Bill, you can go off whining about how you are going to give up on the
forum, but it will not change the fact that you are only right in YOUR
OWN BRAIN.  You *COULD* be right if you started using the right words and
unit measurements.

The G-TECH pro measures HP *IRRESPECTIVE* of torque.  It takes the car's
mass (entered), current acceleration and velocity to determine HP.  Mass
= kg, acceleration = m/s^2, velocity = m/s.  Mass times acceleration
times velocity = kg*m/s^2*m/s.  kg*m/s^2 is a newton ->
newton*meter/second = horsepower.

SIMILARLY (for those moving a little slower)...
Horsepower is to torque as speed is to distance.
You will travel a further distance going 1 mile per hour for an hour (1
mile) than you will going 3500 miles per hour for a second (.97 miles).
Who is travelling faster?  The one going 3500mph, even though he didn't
go as far!

Jim

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:25:46 -0000 "content22207"
<brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> [...]
> powerful. But can they:
> - Accelerate a vehicle weighing TWICE as much as a DeLorean 0-60 MPH
> in 8-9 seconds?
> - Move FOUR times the weight of a DeLorean (Class III) effortlessly?
> Of course not. A small bore is going to be lucky to ever produce
> much
> more than 200 ft lbs of torque, which is the true measure of power.
> But HP numbers taken totally out of context will never indicate
> such.
>
> BTW: Freightliner builds over the road trucks, not railroad
> equipment.
> (I clearly stated such in my first reply). That's why I used them as
> an example. Throwing unbased HP numbers around the way you do, a
> "500
> HP" sports car engine should outpull their "400 HP" plants, or so
> the
> uneducated might infer.
>
> Did you notice your last reply inadvertently proved my point?
> -"Torque" is distinct and measureable, irrespective of any other
> measurement
> - "RPM" is distinct and measureable, irrespective of any other
> measurement
> "Horsepower" is *NOT* distinctly measureable. It can *NOT* be
> calculated without *BOTH* torque and RPM
>
> Bill Robertson
>
> >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > Talking bollocks again. How fast will your damn railway engine go?
> Speed
> > (rpm) and torque are interchangable in the same way that pressure
> and
> > flow are in a hydraulic system. With a limited power source, you
> can
> > trade one off against the other.
> >
> > Once again, I'll be happy to have a tug of war with you as long as
> can
> > do it in a long wheelbase landrover defender TDi. (That's a 2.5
> > turbo-diesel with close ratio box)
> >
> > http://www.dieselcentre.com/10327.htm
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > content22207 wrote:
> >
> > > At how many RPM's?
> > >
> > > If that little French wonder car is so powerful, Freightliner
> had
> > > better be quivering in their boots.
> > >
> > > Uneducated layperson is going to look at your post and assume
> the
> > > Venturi is more powerful than a transfer tracter producing
> "only" 400
> > > HP. Yet it does so in the 1500 RPM range -- more than enough to
> move
> > > 80,000 lbs of over the road freight. Can your wonder car do
> that?
> > >
> > > High rev'ing HP is chump change against bottom end HP.
> > >
> > > Ready for that tractor pull yet?
> > >
> > > Bill Robertson

> Yahoo! Autos. Everything you need to know about buying
> or selling a car.  FREE Quotes, 360° Tours, Research,

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!