Re: [DMCForum] Continued: Martin's HP

I have one simple question: What pillock quotes an engine as 200hp if it
is capable of more?

> Real world example: one of my BONE STOCK UNBUILT 200-220 HP 460's
> versus any of the various 400+ HP small bore engines you love to wave
> like a flag (none of which sit in YOUR own driveway I hasten to point
> out). By the HP numbers alone your small bores ~sound~ twice as
> powerful. But can they:
> - Accelerate a vehicle weighing TWICE as much as a DeLorean 0-60 MPH
> in 8-9 seconds?

How about 1700kg (that's 1.5 times as much) in 4.2 seconds from a single
turbo 2-litre? That's my friend's Nissan Skyline GTS-R, which I've had
the pleasure of driving, and being driven in by someone who can really
drive. Have YOU ever been driven in, or driven such a car? I was given a
spin in one of the Chevvy-powered D's in Memphis and my impression was
very much that it acted like a huge diesel engine. Loads of torque but
bugger all top-end, and not exactly as rewardng or exciting.

> - Move FOUR times the weight of a DeLorean (Class III) effortlessly?
> Of course not. A small bore is going to be lucky to ever produce much
> more than 200 ft lbs of torque, which is the true measure of power.
> But HP numbers taken totally out of context will never indicate such.

Did you really just say that torque is the true measure of power? Is
that like voltage being the true measure of electrical power? Or inches
being the only true measure of volume? HP figures, by and large, and
stop me if you've heard ths before, tend to be quoted as the maximum hp
generated by that engine. Torque maximum will be quoted relative to the
rpm at that point, as power is a product of torque and rpm.....

I drive my 1.3 tonne Citroen towing a 0.8 tonne trailer with a 1.3 tonne
DeLorean on it from Germany to England (700 miles). My Xantia puts out
110hp maximum and 250Nm of torque (185ft-lb) at 3000rpm. It's a 2 litre
turbo diesel.

> BTW: Freightliner builds over the road trucks, not railroad equipment.
> (I clearly stated such in my first reply). That's why I used them as
> an example. Throwing unbased HP numbers around the way you do, a "500
> HP" sports car engine should outpull their "400 HP" plants, or so the
> uneducated might infer.
>
> Did you notice your last reply inadvertently proved my point?
> -"Torque" is distinct and measureable, irrespective of any other
> measurement
> - "RPM" is distinct and measureable, irrespective of any other measurement
> "Horsepower" is *NOT* distinctly measureable. It can *NOT* be
> calculated without *BOTH* torque and RPM

Want a bet? It's dead easy to measure power without measuring component
parts. Does your speedometer in your car constantly look at the distance
the car's travelled and divide it by the time it took to do it?

Martin (getting bored very quickly)

click here