[DMCForum] Re: Wings aloft kit Qs?

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> But remember, Ryan, that the door lock solenoids are not
> fused.  They go through an auto-resetting circuit breaker.
> Cycling over a period of a few hours gives plenty of time
> for the plastic to melt.
>
> Walt

Yeah, but the plastic doesn't affect the locking mechanism. Look at
the pictures here:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/stragand_lock_rewind/Rewinding.htm

Especially this one:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/stragand_lock_rewind/Rewinding_files/IM003293.jpg

You can clearly see the wiring, one of the plastic spools, and the
metal shaft (cylinder?) that they go on. The plastic may very well
melt, but it's not going to do a darn thing to that cylinder
underneath it, and there's not enough plastic even on both spools
combined to "leak" into the mechanism and obstruct it.

I rebuilt my driver's side lock solenoid (4 hours of frustration, cut
and bleeding hands, only to have the stupid lock module fry all that
new wiring a couple of weeks later) following those instructions. I
just can't see any way of it getting hot enough to jam the locks shut.
Current flowing through the coils is what holds it shut and prevents
your escape.

On the other hand, I was wrong once, a long time ago. It's entirely
possible I'm wrong again. ;)

-Ryan

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
I'm a