[DMCForum] Re: Antenna placement.

Mine was built Sept '83. There is no way it has a neat cutout for the
antenna in the vent. It looks like someone took a rough rasp (the
kind you fit on a drill) and hacked up the vent to make way for the
antenna. I have seen many others like this. Maybe it is the movement
of the antenna that is responsible? But on every one I have seen?
Others I have seen were even deeper and wider then mine.

Who knows, it could be that they were using old stock for the vents
in the last month or two and had to modify them. When I get a chance
I will post a pic of the offending vent

- Mike

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe@xxxx>
wrote:
> Mike the later cars were made with the little louvre precut nice &
> neat for the antennas. The earlier cars that came with window &
> fender antennas had the rear antennas added later. Hence the reason
> for the rough look of the cutout on the drivers side fake vent
where
> the antenna pokes through.
>
> Joe
>
> 2524 & 16634
>

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike Walsh" <yahoo@xxxx> wrote:
> > I have a late '83 with the antenna in the rear. Behind the rear
> > windows (on either side) there are vents. The one on the right is
> > used to direct fresh air into the engine. My antenna is located
so
> > that it extends from the left vent. I am almost sure (like most
> > things on the car) the vent was designed and made before the
first
> > car went into production. To allow the antenna to use the vent
> > opening, a louver in the vent has been roughly notched to allow
> the
> > antenna to pass by it. I have looked at dozens of D's with the
> > antenna using this vent and everyone looked like it was notched
> out
> > with a file or rasp and each one was slightly different - I think
> > this was done on the factory floor.
> >
> > I don't have the service bulletins in front of me, but this
change
> > happened sometime in the '81 model year. Before that the antenna
> was
> > located in the windshield. There are also some bulletins that
have
> > instructions for drilling out a location in the right front
fender
> if
> > the windshield antenna did not receive a sufficient signal.
> >
> > - Mike
> > #17084

click here