From: Marc Levy [mailto:malevy_nj@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 11:16 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Voodoo Economics.

Voodoo economics is what Bush Sr called it, before he
became vice President for Regan.

Being unemployed, I can tell you that you are wrong.

People hiring illegals off the books are not
interested in hiring a person with a BS degree who was
making decent money less than 2 years ago.

I have applied for many jobs that pay less than what I
used to make.  Taking a 25% pay cut would be no
problem for me, however when I interview for these
jobs they are unhappy with the fact that I used to
make more money.  Frankly, they think I will just
leave them when a better offer comes along.  This is a
widespread problem today because so many people are
LUCKY enough to be UNDEREMPLOYED.  (Wish I was one of
them).

Truth is, anyone who does their job well would look to
leave if (when) the market gets better.  No matter
what they used to make.

Sure, I could lie about my salary history..   but most
of these jobs now conduct a back round check.  So,
either they reject me because I used to make too much
money, or I lied on my application..  I know someone
who this happened to.

Even local retails places like Home Depot are not to
quick to hire ex-techies who were overpaid for the
last few years...  Hey, I know I was overpaid but was
I supposed to say "No thanks, I will work for less
money than you offer because I don't want to fuck up
my ability to get a job when Bush screws up the
economy".

And hey, I am guilty.. Before I became unemployed, I
shared your opinion on the subject.  Now that I have
walked in these shoes I realize the reality of the
situation.

Now should we start discussing how the unemployment
insurance program sucks so bad?!  :)

<SNIP>

> Well, a quick comment on the economy.  I personally
> believe people not being
> able to find jobs is, in part, because they can't
> find jobs they want.
> Granted this is not all inclusive, but illegals are
> able to find work and do
> the work Americans don't want to.  I have talked
> with numerous companies who
> have stated they have been trying to hire and all
> they can find is people
> who want paychecks.  Personally, we have been trying
> to hire some extra
> people and I have found -one- person within the last
> year or so, and he can
> only work part time as he has another job.
>
> Greg
<SNIP>