[DMCForum] Re: Adjustable door struts.

Hi Elvis,

I have these "adjustable" shocks on my doors. They are not very
adjustable if they have to be sent back to Germany to be recharged as
the instructions say. I was led to believe that anyone could adjust
them - I bought them after reading your constant praise for them.

It is a bad idea to use a strong strut to compensate for a weak
torsion bar as you suggest, you will end up bending the lower strut
mount, and the door will twist when closing as most of the force is
now at the rear of the door, instead of a linear force across the
whole door when the torsion bar is correctly adjusted.

I followed the instructions to a T, they said to make sure I do not
let more than 5 "pssst's" of air out of the shocks when reducing the
pressure in them or otherwise the shocks will be damaged. So, I let
the maximum of 5 out of each, but they are still way too strong. I
now have a bent lower shock mount on my drivers side as a result, and
will have to install PJ grady's re-enforcing kit. As you can tell I'm
not very happy with my purchase, and would definitely not recommend
these struts to anyone, I consider them a waste of money.

John

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita@xxxx>
wrote:
> I have no idea who told you that shit with the 12...14 inches.
> actually it's 2-4 inches !
>
> anything else is way overtorqued and I wouldn't be surprised
> if they would break with that load !
>
> Actually I can't even imagine how one could set them so strong ?!?
>

> 2..4 inches !
> the rest is set with the struts !
> Get yourself adjustable struts and you're fine.
>
> I can't believe that people still mess around with the torsion
> bars. With those settings the doors must open and close like shit
> and not nice and smooth as they were desgined to be like.
>
> Elvis & 6548
>

>    Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:00:21 -0400
>    From: "timnagin" <timnagin@xxxx>
> Subject: door adjustments... actually De Lorean related...
>
> Ok, so I was comparing cars today with another owner and have two
questions.

> 1) How do you tell if your torsion bars are adjusted properly?  I
have heard
> you need to remove the strut, release the door, and it should rise
on its
> own about twelve to fourteen inches.  Is this true or is there a
better way
> to test?
>
> 2) Where the forward end of the torsion bar enters the door hinge
on the
> driver's side, should it fit perfectly?  I remember reading about
someone
> who stated their torsion bar looked like it was about to spin
inside the
> forward hinge.  If the torsion bar looks like it is slipping inside
the
> hinge, would the best thing be to replace that hinge or is
something else
> amiss?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Greg