[DMCForum] Re: dead car law

Nope. ;) I never buy permits. Shouldn't have to ask anyone's
permission to build a fence, or a deck, or anything else for that
matter, on my own property. Besides, if you go and buy a permit then
you have to pay $100+ to have it "professionally inspected for
compliance", and you have to abide by the city's stupid ideas on how
that particular item should be built.

My parents have a deck. It's 1 foot off the ground. It has a beautiful
railing that travels over 20 feet with only three posts supporting it.
This is illegal: City laws require the posts be no further than 3"
from one another because "a child might fall off and die." Makes your
nice pretty deck look like a cage. My parents don't have young
children and even if they did, the 1 foot fall onto the grass below
just doesn't seem all that life threatening to me.

Of course the city makes no provisions for people like this. They have
their rules and you must follow them whether you like it or not. So
the answer is to just quietly build the deck and don't tell those
bastards about it. ;)

-Ryan