[DMCForum] #5939 Now In DC (ATTN: Mike Cohee and Rich Acuti)

[DMCForum] #5939 Now In DC (ATTN: Mike Cohee and Rich Acuti)

Tried to post this earlier but my mother's ISP was being BOGUS
(actually, to call her ISP bogus is an insult to bogus ISP's). Perhaps
you shouldn't try to contact me through the Forum but just send smoke
signals instead...

Her mouse isn't hitting on much either. Like to never clicked my way
back to this text... (saved so I wouldn't have to type it all over again).

Last night was the REAL maiden voyage of the RMS DeLorean. Nothing
quite like driving 400 miles up I-95, in a hurricane, in the middle of
the night, in a car that only starting running right Wednesday
afternoon. Tell me there's no God...

Only two casualties, both in Laurinburg even before the trip began:
- Angle drive repair finally failed (came up on the tach)
- Radio died. This is NOT a piece of optional equipment with my new
exhaust. Fortunately have the same unit in one of the Lincolns
(removeable DIN). Am running with it.

My cooling system is still partially gummed up. Water temp was normal
during the monsoons (rainwater splashing the engine), but hugged 220
otherwise. Fans ran continuously. Both are OEM and will not survive
long like this. After Pigeon Forge I am going to treat myself to an
all metal radiator and new fans.

Actually did a coolant change in a quick stop parking lot in Emporia
at 11:00 last night ($10 per gallon). Was afraid that the boys at the
Diesel Shop might have gotten antifreeze mixture too lean. Problem is
definitely at the front of the car.

Am getting a LOT of brown residue in my coolant. Either it's rust
(cylinder liners?) or what French goo turns into (not American
Cosmoline, which apparently resembles Crisco. Mine looked like
caviar). Isn't coming from the pump impeller -- replaced crate
engine's with another unit I had because impeller was so badly
corroded. Don't think French goo works. Seems to TRAP moisture, just
like that undercoating crap people up north love to spray on their cars.

Otherwise new engine performed flawlessly. MPG has dropped slightly
(not much more than 20, albeit at 2800-3200 RPM for most of the trip),
but that's to be expected with carburetion. Dynamite acceleration
until the metering rods come all the way up, then the engine bogs way
down (liquid fuel just pouring into the cylinders). PRV vacuum drop is
probably higher than engine this carb was jetted for (Ford 171 --
German import). A softer counter spring should fix that. Until then
I've disciplined myself not to open the throttle plates all the way.
I've also reduced the amount of squirt from the accelerator pump,
though I think it may still be too high. Carb has 8 possible settings.
I'll play with them throughout trip (remember, car has only been on
the road for 2 days!).

ATTN: Mike C and Rich A -- I am at my parents' house: (703) 527-8959.
No eMail. Call me or contact me through the Forum. Am out of service
tonight for a high school reunion, tomorrow morning for church, but
should be free otherwise. Managed to squeeze headliner material into
the car if you want to tackle that project. Also need to replace a
bunch of weatherstripping. Have given up on washing the poor thing
(oak trees are making an even bigger mess than Diesel Shop). Carpets
are so funked out I'll just burn them and drive on the fiberglass.

Bill Robertson

click here