Re: [DMCForum] Re: God Squad

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, treehouse2000us wrote:

> A machine that detects color... thats pretty cool stuff, wonder if it
> can tell you what color stainless actualy is?  Wonder if it would work
> on that multicolor Crome-Illusion paint?  Cool stuff...

A colorimeter can certainly tell you the wavelengths of light radiating
from any surface.  Bear in mind, of course, when dealing with things like
stainless and color-changing paint, you're looking at a material which
reflects a wide range of wavelengths and therefore your reading will vary
quite a bit based on incident radiation.  Solid colors, like conventional
paints, absorb all but a small portion of the visible spectrum, and
therefore appear to be the combination of all visible wavelengths which
they do NOT absorb.

-andrew

click here