Re: [DMCForum] Re: Bells, whistles and minor convenience items (Farrar)

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Bells, whistles and minor convenience items (Farrar)

Ah! Well, I was speaking specifically about the electrical system. I
thought you were listing your electrical problems. I stand corrected.
And no, you don't have to go on. Was the thing even driveable? I will
have to drive mine home. If nothing else, my ego will require that I
drive it. Even if it means covering up the seats with towels because
I'll get cut by the cracked leather. LOL

You know me, I don't care about the interior -- it could look like ass
but still function. I'll work on it later. I expect to spend at least
three years working on the car, probably five. If when I buy it it has a
place to sit and I can drive it, I'll be happy enough as I begin the
work. I also don't care about everything being "stock". Once I get mine,
I'm going to replace what needs to be replaced with something that
works, and probably very little of that will be NOS. I'll be
cross-referencing the hell out of everything. I'll also upgrade things
(alternator, header bottle, bleeder kit, fanzilla, TABs, etc.) -- it'll
be a long process but I'm ready for it. (I'm not getting married, but
I'm ready for a *different* kind of long-term commitment. LOL)

I guess I know a lot of stuff on your car was shot to hell, but it's
hard to remember with everybody else's cars also being shot to hell!
Except for the guys who are trying to sell theirs, it seems like
everybody's had a major disaster in the last year. (And the people
trying to sell theirs either haven't driven them or won't admit to
having a problem because they'd have to reduce the price.)

I do remember the head gasket being blown, and the crumple tube issue.
And your TAB adventure! When I get mine, I'm going to have the TABs
replaced and make sure the suspension is in good shape. On the holey New
Orleans roads it would be easy to snap a 23-year-old TAB.

Still curious what you paid for yours. The pessimist in me is beginning
to surface, and I'm beginning to think that my goal of spending $11k to
$12k may not be realistic, since I want one with no engine or frame
damage (i.e. things I would have no way of repairing myself), and a
functioning cooling system -- hey, I gotta drive it home.

I have seen "daily drivers" for $10k that have crappy, neglected
interiors for; then I have seen cars which look beautiful but won't
move. (How many times I have read an ad which basically can be summed up
as "Car is perfect inside and out, but oh wait it doesn't run." :P) I
guess I may have to roll back the date (I have waited ten years, what's
a few more?) but I'd rather not -- I prefer to achieve the goals I set.
Spring 2005, I said. Damnit!

My ultimate goal is of course to prove that one can own one of these
things on a budget... If to nobody else, then to myself. May not be
perfect, of course. I've already had dreams about the thing not running,
and I don't even own it yet. LOL

Anyway, enough babbling. According to Marc I should be out looking for
women by now.

--Farrar

cruznmd wrote:
> Lol,
>
> Farrar I love you like the brother I never had but I don't think
> you've been reading my posts for the last year and 8 months.
>
> Those where the -convenience- items that didn't work.
>
> I didn't list the other major items that were totally ruined like:
>
> The crumple tube and forward frame box-in
> Main wiring harness hacked into
> Entire fuel system trashed
> blown head gaskets
> shot-out rear wheel bearings
> siezed brakes
> Every electrical, wire wound device: (alternator, idle reg, window
> motors, engine fans, ventilator fan) siezed solid
> cracked windshield
> torn seats
> cracked dash
> faded vinyl