[DMCForum] Maiden Voyage Of The RMS DeLorean

[DMCForum] Maiden Voyage Of The RMS DeLorean

Long story short: my radiator is now totally clogged with a soap like
substance. Upper inlet gets luke warm, but the lower outlet stays
stone cold. Obviously no water is passing through. Meanwhile coolant
is boiling in the back of the car...

For some reason the nice people in Douvrin France felt it necessary to
impact the entire cooling system of my brand new engine with a
substance that resembles soap. I guess it's there to protect against
corrosion until the engine is put into service. I managed to clean it
out of the pump and internal distribution pipe (with a plumbing
snake). Removed the block drain plugs and fished around in there until
water poured in the internal water pipe ports would at least pass
through. Figured coolant circulation would do the rest.

Apparently it did.

Remaining soap was cleaned out of the engine and deposited into the
radiator, where it now sits as a total obstruction to progess.

There's one last chance of getting my poor car to Pigeon Forge: this
soap like substance only responds to hot water. Tomorrow we'll try to
flush it out of the radiator backwards with a hose pipe attached to
the Diesel Shop hot water heater.

Will I see you in Pigeon Forge in a vehicle that left Dearborn
Michigan *WITHOUT* a bunch of soap in its water jacket...

Oh: Test drive went well until I boiled my coolant. Current jetting
definitely has a flat spot above 3/4 throttle though. Runs like a bat
until then. Compression is 160 PSI, so it's only 8.5:1. And I must
admit you do notice that versus my Renault block.

Bill Robertson

click here