From: Walter Coe [mailto:Whalt@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 9:48 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Re: evaporator hell was... evaporator is back out

> Evaporators out of 3 Deloreans, how many damn Deloreans do
you got
around there?

About 4.5 -- if you count one that was missing the body when
I got it.  It's a bad habit sort of like smoking.  I need to
start cutting back.  The first one was a regular purchase
which got me hooked.  Two others were such good deals
(project cars) that I couldn't pass up -- like I could
instantly resell them for a profit.  The other was a so-so
deal, but is in pretty good condition for the price.  I
intend to get the numbers down to two daily drivers and stop
at that.  Why two?  That is the way I tend to live my
life -- with two cars.  If at any given time I can keep at
least one running then I'm doing great.

I finally found an evaporator that I like.  Unfortunately, I
owe two evaporators back to the cars that I borrowed them
from.  (Three if I count the parts car.)  I pulled the
orifice out of it, and it looks almost new:
www.DMCForum.org/images/offtopic/cleanorifice.jpg
(I have the orifice held in an extraction tool.)

Here is a pic of a bent orifice that came out of a bent
evaporator high side line.  I have the line & the orifice
side by side so you can see the cause & effect.  It appears
this one was bent during installation at the factory.
www.DMCForum.org/images/offtopic/orificebent.jpg
Also note the nasty corrosion around the neck of the low
side line (larger pipe).  Bill -- yours probably looks a bit
worse than this by now. ;-)

The lines aren't particularly bent.  At least the fins
aren't plugged with rat turds & hair.  It did have a little
compost, but that is to be expected:
www.DMCForum.org/images/offtopic/cleanevaporator1.jpg
www.DMCForum.org/images/offtopic/cleanevaporator2.jpg

I'm using the built-in flash which doesn't stick up high
enough.  Or the lens is too fat.  That's the shadow that you
see.  I've been trying to get a medical/ring flash, but the
model I'm after has been on back order for months.  My old
flash doesn't seem to work with this new camera.  Guess I
gotta read the manual.

I am definitely going to put some fiberglass window screen
under the windshield vent.  There is no sense in letting
leaves in there.  I'm also going to look at ways to add a
baffle to keep water out of the blower motor.  But I can do
that with the system together at a later date.

> and now that he has his new toy we are getting almost
daily updates WITH pictures? ;)

Yeah, digital is definitely the way to go.  Unfortunately I
haven't had time to learn how to use the thing.  I have no
idea how to lock the exposure.  It keeps wanting to focus on
the closest object, etc.  I know these have simple answers,
but that requires reading the manual.  And why do that when
I have a car to get ready for Pigeon Forge?

Will anyone be bringing a laptop computer with USB port to
Pigeon Forge?  I may need to download some pics cuz I could
run out of space.  I intend to take hundreds of photos of
anything relevant that can be used for the DMCForum
technical section.  Which reminds me:  I can't even read the
manual to the damn camera.  How am I supposed to write HTML
to get these photos online.  Rich?  Buhler? ;-)

Walt