[DMCForum] Re: Rear view mirror

> What metal? My entire mirror is plastic. There's no metal
on it.

If your mirror is of the so-called "original" variety -- be
it NOS, or whatever, the mounting pad is made of a soft
aluminum/pewter alloy.  So what kind of mirror do you have?
Does it look stock?  Can you show us a picture of it?
Meanwhile I'll see if I can scare up some photos of that
bullseye cracked windshield I saw at the last SEDOC show.
>From the way it cracked, it is self-explanatory of why it
cracked.  You know the saying -- a picture is worth a
thousand words (or a cracked windshield :-)

The Gentex electro-chromatic mirror that I am going to mount
on my DeLo is rather heavy (I think) for being held to glass
with mere tape.  The mount is of the regular GM variety, but
it didn't come with the shoe that glues to the glass.  All
the original shoes I have seen are metal, but many of the
aftermarket replacements are plastic.  But this system seems
too small to be held to glass with tape -- not enough
surface area to hold with something weaker than GM OEM glue.
And that kind of glue is only good for a few years at best.
There are exceptions, but seemingly not on any car that I am
responsible for maintaining.

For mounting this Gentex mirror, I'm still undecided between
two approaches:

1) Drill & tap a junkyard metal mounting shoe and screw it
to a custom aluminum plate (shoe) the size of the OEM mirror
footprint.  Then tape that to the windshield using
traditional DeLorean glass-friendly mounting tape.

2) Make a new bracket that will hold the mirror to the
fiberglass roof of the car and skip that glass mounting
fiasco shit all together.  I helped a guy make one before in
my shop for his DeLorean.  It looks cool and was good for a
first try, but it needs more refinement to control
vibration -- and access to better machine tools to build
such a thing.  As usual, I have plenty of photos, but they
are on film and may take me eons to get around to scanning
them.

Well, I got another evaporator to rip out of a car today.
Hopefully it will come out without issues, and I can put it
in my daily driver without having to repair kinked lines.

Walt

click here