[DMCForum] Pigeon Forge or Bust? (Engine Swap Update)

[DMCForum] Pigeon Forge or Bust? (Engine Swap Update)

Walt: I'll trade you an engine swap for evaporator removal any day. My
replacement engine has been in and out of the car no fewer than FIVE
times as the latest problem reared its ugly head.

During the 1985 model year (according to Volvo listings in the
Autozone and Advance computer systems) Dourvin apparently changed
PRV's as follows:
- Motor mounts were moved 3 1/16" closer to the front of the engine
- Engine bosses were given much less sharp angle

Of course in the haste to get my crate engine (built sometime after
12/85) in the car before DCS, I did not recognize this until time to
bolt it up. Led to an exciting two days engineering crossmember
extensions and playing with motor mounts. FWIW the stupid thing is
*FINALLY* attached to the vehicle. Isn't pretty, and sits 1/4" higher
than a stock engine (which now poses clearance issues between my air
filter and the engine cover -- yet another engineering challenge!),
but this afternoon I began the long process of reassembly. When comes
the Big Test Drive? God only knows at this point.

In my own defense, DeLo motor mounts are externally identical late
model. You can't even see the raised portion that compensates for the
sharper angle boss until the engine is out of the car (you can't see
the engine boss itself until the engine is out of the car). I measured
their width, crossmember angle, etc -- which are identical -- while
both were still in the car & on the pallet and ran with it. Oops.

Another rude surprise: the French absolutely stuffed my cooling system
with something resembling soap. Everything inch of it was totally
packed with this stuff: water pump, coolant distribution pipe, water
jacket itself. I guess it's supposed to dissolve, but after several
hours digging and flushing it out manually I'm not sure that would
have worked at all. Would probably have melted my brand new engine first.

One nice thing about a crate engine: all the fasteners are brand new.
Nothing is frozen or stripped. Water jacket drain plugs came out as
easily as an oil plug (same tool).

I'll most an update after the Big Test Drive, whenever that may be...

Bill Robertson