Re: [DMCForum] Re: De Lorean for sale...

Re: [DMCForum] Re: De Lorean for sale...

550hp?  the 3.5L lotus V8 TT only generated 350hp.  Maybe you're thinking
GT1 or something.

I don't think this swap is a particularly good idea.  I probably know
better than anyone what HP the Delorean should and should NOT have.  I've
said it before and will again- I wouldn't aim higher than 300hp without
serious thought to the suspension (and the strength of the frame).  Also,
wouldn't consider more than 400lb engine unless you want to pull
wheelies.

Some on the DML have argued that swapping up from 130hp is unnecessary,
but I draw the line a little higher.  It's for the same reason though- if
you want a faster car, just go buy a faster car.  At 300HP, the Delorean
is almost as fast as a ferrari modena in a straight line.  Unless you
never plan on turning, you will need thousands in suspension upgrades-
shocks, springs, and appropriately sized rims&tires.

Only because I've been there, aim for 250-300hp or buy a different car!

Jim

On Tue, 25 May 2004 21:12:03 -0000 "lotusshaney"
<daniel.shane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Yep the Esprit from the SE onwards has used the Renault box and that
> is why they have
> stopped making them as Renault have stopped making the gearboxes.
>
> I've only ever seen one De Lorean up-close, but I think that I could
> get both the V8 Engine
> and The Renault box in with little trouble.
>
> I'm going to have to use the Lotus supplied Renault box as the
> internals have been treated
> to strengthen them as the little V8 put's out around 550 BHP and I
> think I might destroy a
> normal box.
>
> This is all in the future, very apt for the car, as the first thing
> I need to do is get one first.
>
> I'm sure the PRV V6 must be tunable to something decent first before
> I start transplanting
> engines. But If not then a V8 might be the way to go.
>
> Dan
>
> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx>
> wrote:
> >

> > Jim Strickland wrote:
> > > DAAAAAAMMMN.  I'm horrified to have found that the $80k-$90k
> esprit V8
> > > still use a renault gearbox.
> >
> > Look          at         the           final         drive
> ratio
> >

> > > Here's a pic of a 1994 Esprit S4, anyone recognize the
> transmission?
> >
> > It's a UN1. it always was a UN1, and it always will be a UN1.
> Internally
> > identical to our DeLorean 369 boxes, apart from the final drive,
> which
> > is lower and puts less stress on the input shaft........ I've been
>
> > saying this for bloody ages
> >
> > Martin

> Yahoo! Autos. Everything you need to know about buying
> or selling a car.  FREE Quotes, 360° Tours, Research,
> Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/HliolB/TM

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!