[DMCForum] Re: New guy after some advice.

[DMCForum] Re: New guy after some advice.

Dan,

You'll do fine. You have more than enough experience to handle this
car. I just bought my first DeLorean; haven't owned it even a month
yet but have already put close to $2,000 into it. That's parts, not
labor. It's not because the cars are garbage and require a huge
maintenance budget, it's because they're 23 years old and stuff
breaks. For a $12k car, you can bet the owner won't have updated much,
if anything.

I am my own mechanic. I'm good enough that nobody would be able to
tell my work from that of a professional. In other words, I do the job
right. That said, I still rely heavily on FAQs and tech articles
because I'm still learning about this particular car. Put me in front
of a Fiero and I can do almost anything without a FAQ.

At any rate, your only concern is going to be money. Budget $5,000 on
top of the $12k for the car. You might not need it all. You might need
a little more. But if you plan on spending it, then you won't be
disappointed.

-Ryan

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "lotusshaney" <daniel.shane@xxxx> wrote:
> Thanks guys,  What I'm looking for is a project that needs a far bit
of tiding up, but a
> basically solid car.
>
> I will do all the work myself so I will save on the labour.  I have
Just completed
> rebuilding a Lotus Elise and I'm now looking for something else to
get my hands dirty.  I
> have rebuilt 4 Lotus Esprit's in the past, converting two of them
from left hand drive to
> right hand drive, so I'm up on the whole removing body from chassis
thing as well as
> ripping interiors out and replacing them.
>
> I must say that from what I have seen the De Lorean look's very much
like an Esprit S3 in
> both interior and how it fits onto the chassis so hopefully I wont
be too out of my depth.

> I just need to know of any that are for sale and the best places or
people to goto to find
> one.
>
> Any help would be grateful
>
> Dan
>
> P.S. Are the Parts and Service Manuals available still ?  Has
anybody got them in
> Downloadable format like PDF ??
>
> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Dave
> >
> > That rule may hold true in the US, but more often than not, a
drivable
> > DeLorean can be done for quite a bit less in the UK. Largely
because all
> > the mechanical parts are european to start with. A simple example
is a
> > tie rod end. Look on our website to see our price compared to the US.
> > Cosmetics get expensive, I'll agree, although we do have Chris
Nicholson
> > (at the moment) whose bodywork expertise is second to none.
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > Dave Stragand wrote:
> >
> > > Are you looking for a project car so you can get a D at a lower
price?  If
> > > so, that's false logic.  It just doesn't work that way.  In
fact, it's
> > > exactly the opposite.  I'll explain:

click here