[DMCForum] Re: Freon

Fellow who manages the diesel shop (actually a separate company now
from the railroad I work for -- corporate reshuffling) used to work at
NAPA. When R134 first came out NAPA gave them a bunch of "R134
compatible stickers". Whenever a customer bought a compressor to do
his conversion -- popular lore in those days was need for a "R134
compressor" -- he'd take the exact same compressors NAPA had always
been selling, slap a sticker on it, and sell it FOR MORE MONEY.

Compressors are the same.

If your system is empty already, why not experiment with R134 to see
if you like it. No components need to be changed (IMHO -- flame alert,
flame alert). Do be sure to vacuum the moisture out or it won't work
properly.

I burn R134 in all my A/C equipped vehicles with good results. While
it's true that R12 does perform better in systems designed for it,
output from R134 is more than satisfactory. And you can't argue with
the price ($2.50 per can by the case).

The only problem I've encountered is in the Lincolns: I lose the
refrigeration cycle if the car sits still for too long. Note that they
idle 500-550 RPM, with engine mounted fans. Could be reduced air flow
over the condensor. Could be low pressure from the compressor (R134
needs more on the low side than R12, 40 PSI or so).

I have absolutely no problem in the DeLo. Been burning it all week.
For the life of me I don't see how Rich is surviving without it.

Actually I do have one problem: solenoid on my fast idle valve died.
Compressor loads the engine approximately 300 RPM, so I set the manual
idle speed around 1200. Is thoroughly embarrasing at a stop light like
that, so I have no choice but to run the A/C to bring the idle speed
down. Only turn it off for added pickup when the rice burners pull up
next to me, then kick it back on.

I am getting ready to do an engine swap. Need to transfer A/C
compressor to the new block. Rather than screwing around with moving
it out of the way, you can be sure I'll throw the current freon charge
away, swap the compressor on the ground, then vacuum and recharge
after the engine's in the car.

Bill Robertson