From: cruznmd [mailto:racuti1@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 5:29 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Bearing and Transmission questions, partially for
Martin G:

Ok, to review:

After the Social trip to NY some 500-ish miles, I've noticed that the
noise from the back competes with the stereo. It's not unmanagable,
but it causes me concern. It's a cross between a "howl" and "wow-wow-
wow". (Sorry for all the technical terms).

Earlier, I'd sworn it was the passenger side. I replaced that bearing
and the noise didn't abate. Now it just seems to be behind me when I
drive. I can't isolate it. It changes tune when I hit curves in one
direction, but not the other. Don Steger at DMC in Cali says that's a
bearing.

Martin:

Did I just guess the wrong side? Is the differential in the tranny
about to die? Martin, you said these tranmissions were bullet-proof.
On a low-mileage car, how likely is this? I changed the gear oil. It
was full, but the fluid was old. I saw no metal particles. Have you
seen one of these units die? What happend?

I've driven with the doors open, I've spun the wheels by hand. It
won't do it by hand. Not enough load on the bearing I think, to make
the noise.

Thanks,

Rich A.

click here