Re: [DMCForum] GTAW and "Heli-arc"

checksix3 wrote:

>Hold on there Sparky. As an experienced GTAW weldor with a $4K
>squarewave inverter in my garage I need to correct you on this.
>Heliarc *is* GTAW. TIG is just the common shop name. Heliarc is
>exactly the same as tig and GTAW. It's simply the original name for
>the process. It's a trade name of Linde Corp, who bought the process
>from the two guys who invented GTAW, and they still use it. As you
>said, Argon is now used as sheilding gas for most work. However,
>Helium (or an He and Ar mix) is still very much used for welding
>thicker materials when better penetration or tighter arc control is
>desired.

What kind of inverter do you have?  I just got a Miller Dynasty DX, the
price was good and I really like the auto voltage selection since I will
be using it a various locations.  As for the names I was always told the
heli-arc used carbon electrodes, but I guess it could be a regional
naming thing.

>And yes, you can weld Cu. It normally requires preheat as it sucks
>the arc heat away from the weld area. Most metals, dissimiliar or
>not, can be Tigged. (There are a few exceptions however.) Very thin
>stuff too, I often weld pepsi cans together just to stay sharp.

I was very impressed when I watched a guy weld 2 full soda cans
together.  I thought the liquid would draw too much heat away.

Andrei