RE: [DMCForum] Accumulator located

><SNIP>
>I think it would be a bad idea to try to drive the car with
>a vacuum pulled in the a/c system.  The ports in the system
>are sealed with schrader valves which basically only hold
>pressure in.  They do not hold pressure out.  Hence, if you
>have a vacuum in the system and expose a schrader to
>atmospheric air then it will pull it in.  To avoid this
>problem, charge the system before you disconnect the hoses.
>
>Walt

I thought the system always operated below atmospheric pressure even after
the refrigerant was introduced following the vacuuming.  I don't see how a
schrader valve would let any outside atmosphere in, unless it was defective,
due to its design.

If you open a charged system then you will see the refrigerant gas escape,
but that is due to displacement caused by the atmosphere rushing in until
they equalize, right?

On a side note, someone I knew in the air conditioning business long ago
told me what he thought was the best way to recharge a system, and he was
damn picky.  He would vacuum the system for as long as the specification
required, then he would shoot a little Freon in, then vacuum it again.
Repeating this process a few times before finally filling the system.  He
did this on a few of my vehicles and it made a noticeable difference in
cooling.

Greg