Re: [DMCForum] Re: reassembly advise

You don't need to undo the bolts on the rocker panels to take the
fenders off..... just take the bolts on the ends on the outside edge and
pop the clips off - DMCH now has replacement clips (they always break).
On a friends car (before I did this for a living) we cheated and drilled
a new set of holes halfway between the existing ones - his had been
removed to fit some horrible bodykit, and every last one had snapped off
and gone very rusty. The trouble with putting new rivnuts in is to get
the old ones out you inevitably make the holes bigger.

They're not called rivnuts in most catalogues - RS list them as "clinch
nuts" and it's where I got my tool from (and all-steel rivnuts). The one
with the swivelling head is really useful. http://rswww.com try part
number 228-4171
<_javascript_:openWindow('http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/PriceInfoPopUp.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1127131832.1082032874@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchadcleikhfimcfngcfkmdgkldfjf.0&cacheID=uknetscape&3259485762=3259485762&prodoid=336518','width=470,height=500,left=100,top=100,resizable=no,scrollbars=no,toolbar=no,status=no','price')>
- this is a combination pop-rivet tool and rivnut tool. Buy a bag of M6
and M5 rivnuts - the car's full of them. The rocker panels are M6, under
the bonnet they're all M5 etc..

Martin

(by coincidence just been putting a front fender and fascia back on)