[DMCForum] Re: Martin's allergy to stainless

[DMCForum] Re: Martin's allergy to stainless

It isn't just stainless -- ALL steel will react unfavorably with
aluminum in the presence of moisture. Witness DeLo owners snapping off
8.8 fasteners all over the place. The process is called "electrolysis"
(was around long before the hair removal technique). Some people claim
that stainless reacts worse, but I disagree. Is a moot point anyway --
I'm gradually converting my engine to stainless nuts on stainless
studs, starting with cooling system components.

Speaking of which, has anyone bought some of Rob Grady's 7mm stainless
studs yet? I've asked him twice to quote me length, whether shouldered
or full thread, and a price, but have yet to get a reply. Guess I'll
find out at Mid Atlantic. If they aren't too expensive I'll do my
valve and timing chain covers.

Back to the subject of electrolysis -- the best solution is helicoils.
Edelbrock's aluminum heads are fully helicoiled. They will weld
themselves to the aluminum rather than the fastener. I also think
coarse threads are less susceptible than fine threads due to the
reduced contact area.

BTW: I've found the perfect solution to screws welding themselves to
the access panel rivnuts inside the trunk -- plastic screws.

Bill Robertson