[DMCForum] Off Topic - question on steering racks

[DMCForum] Off Topic - question on steering racks

Hi Lads,
This is about my other car, a 1998 Ford Escort. I really hate this
car, and I wish I could drive the DeLorean all the time, but it can't
be done at my age over here...Oh well. :(

Anyway, I have a problem with this car that I'd appreciate any advice
on.

When driving, if I accelarate, the car will sometimes lurch to either
the left or the right. As I let off the gas pedal again it will lurch
back the other way. So, basically every time I change gear I have to
really hang onto the steering wheel.

If I am very easy on the gas pedal it drives OK. There are some bad
clunking sounds coming from the front right of the car when going
over speed bumps, or sometimes when turning the wheel.

I was under the car with a mechanic and he checked the ball joints,
the roll bar mounts, the springs and the shocks, and he came to the
conclusion that the steering rack needs to be replaced. Does this
sound right? What are the usual symptoms of a bad steering rack?

I hate spending money on this car, but at this stage it has to be
fixed.
Thanks for any advice!

Best wishes,
John